Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators
Volcano’s deadline for the Theatre Creators’ Reserve is October 17th, 2016.
Funded by the Ontario Arts Council, the Theatre Creators’ Reserve program, assists Ontario-based theatre creators develop new work. It is our belief that the Toronto arts sector owes its vitality to the independent artists that work within it.
Through the Creators’ Reserve, Volcano hopes to help foster the next wave in Toronto Performance. Volcano selects companies and/or artists that show a strong fit with our company, mandate, and artistic vision – an alignment that we hope will push the form in directions we believe in. For the most part, we prioritize projects that somehow fuse traditions (cultural, theatrical, disciplinary, etc), that are politically and/or intellectually provocative, and that look to reinvent live performance in accessible yet surprising ways.
To all prospective applicants: Volcano gets to recommend only $10K of funds, and we are usually overwhelmed with quality applicants. Live performance lives in Toronto, and throughout Canada, because of you, and the striving so amply demonstrated in the proposals you craft. Whatever we decide to recommend is immaterial to this. It is simply an exciting time in our theatre, with nowhere near enough money to fund all of the vision. So no matter what the result is here, if you can, keep going. We wish you the best.
1. Read the Theatre Creators’ Guidelines carefully before completing the application form.
2. Complete the application form, which can be found here.
3. Write a short letter describing who you are, the project for which you are seeking support, why you are pursuing the project at this time, and where you are in your career. Please include the amount you are requesting in the body of this letter.
4. Support material is not required. Support material may be requested once your letter has been assessed, but your letter, and the clarity of the thinking therein, is the most important aspect of the submission.
5. Send your letter electronically to email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org, so the Volcano office has a copy (this is important to ensure that no application is overlooked). In addition, mail your documents (and remember to submit the OAC form in triplicate!) to:
Volcano Theatre ATTN: Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators Program 251 Crawford Street Toronto, ON M6J 2V7
Include a self-addressed envelope if you want to be notified by snail mail. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Michele Charlton at email@example.com